Thursday, March 28, 2013

Good Bye Lakeside


Thursday was my last day as a first grade teacher. While I am beside myself that I get to be a stay at home mom, I have to say goodbye to this first and that is so sad! I was so excited about our new ventures that I didn’t really think about how hard this was going to be until this week…especially Thursday. Teaching is a hard job. The kids are lovely and the job is fun but there is much more to it than that. This job has been a huge part of my life for the past 6 years and I’ve invested so much time, love, attention and devotion to this. I’ve made some amazing friends,built relationships with numbers of students and I’ve just grown very attached and it’s hard to let it go. These are the people I spend all day every day with! It’s like a family!

So Thursday, on my last day as a teacher, I didn’t worry about teaching an amazing conclusive lesson on magnets and I didn’t worry about correcting all of their writing or super star behavior.And I didn’t fret over math strategies or reading comprehension or assessing or documenting or monitoring or planning. We just read a lot, played some games and enjoyed being together for one more day! There were lots of hugs too. LOTS :-)

I’ve been showered with gifts and Texas paraphernalia to bring a bit of the South to our new home in the Northwest :) I’ve probably received about 80 letters from students…some begging me to stay, some telling me I’m the best teacher ever, some telling me their favorite memory with me, some bribing me to stay with hugs and some just telling me how beautiful they think I am haha (gotta love first grade). A few little girls planned a little surprise party too! This was in addition to a going away party planned by my room mom. These girls had been working hard to coordinate this big surprise by planning with other teachers and the principals and writing letters to get decor and a room in line. It was the sweetest. J)!





























No comments: