Friday, August 20, 2010

2 weeks old

Luca was 2 weeks old yesterday! We have pretty much been camping out at home trying to settle into our new normal! It is quite the adventure, and as exhausted as we are, we are loving every minute! We know these are precious moments. We've made a couple of brave trips out into the real world to see the doctor, visit our friends who had a baby, and then one big trip (with me and both kids alone) to take Ella to gymnastics and to visit my school. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea but we aren't quite ready for those grand adventures just quite yet :)
Just to catch you up...
-Luca is still a very good baby. He fusses for a couple hours before bedtime every night but as long as he can nurse, we all survive.
-Mommy and Daddy feel: blessed beyond measure, tired, elated, loved and in love, overwhelmed, complete, emotional (mainly me), amazed...and more!
-Poor Ella has a UTI/bladder infection :( along with asthma from the pollution
-Ella still loves her baby brother. Some of the things she has said are: "I love him", "You're so tiny", "He's my baby brother". If he's not in the room with us, she wants to know where he is and if we can go get him.
-Luca is now waking up every 3 hours as opposed to 4. He feels bigger in my arms every day and is literally growing before my eyes! I know from experience how fast it goes so if I'm not helping myself or Ella with something, Luca Baby is in my arms and I am soaking up EVERY second!!

We've had some special visitors this last week. They all have come to meet Luca, bring food, check in on us, and they all have made Ella feel extra special. It warms my heart that they remember her too and go out of their way to be sensitive to her feelings and to make a big deal about her. Nit brought her candy with Luca's gift, my friend Erin brought her a little matching bow to match an outfit she got for Luca, and our friends that we rent the house from had a special cookie on this fabulous cookie bouquet for Ella. Her response was, "you make me so happy!" We are so thankful for the friends we have made here that are like our family. It is comforting to know you have those people when your family lives so far away!


Ella has been doing a lot of this the past couple of weeks...just playing dress up, babies, and dancing around the house and acting like a mommy. She's taken special interest in her babies since Luca has come home. She has renamed them all Luca and takes care of them just like she sees me take care of Luca. Pretty cute :)
Ella has been learning some independence. I'm struggling with a lot of guilt with her having to share her mommy. It's not hard for me to walk away and take care of Luca, but I worry that I am hurting her feelings. It doesn't help that she's been taking out the stress of the change solely on me :) but now that we know she has a UTI/bladder infection, I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it too. We've had some special things planned for her to treat her and make her feel extra special.
And Luca has been doing a lot of this :)


My handsome fellas :)

My 2 little lovies :) I love these two more than life itself.
We are looking forward to some more visitors coming soon! Mimi, Uncle Jeff, Aunt Kim, Jessica, Jared, and my BFF Diana...we can't wait to see you!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Congrats Amber!! He is just a doll!!! Enjoy these days!!!!