Friday, March 19, 2010

Mother of the Year



We had quite an eventful morning a couple days ago...and another "first" :0) This wasn't one of Ella's firsts, this was one of Mommy's firsts...but not a very proud one! With Mike being out of town and Ella and I in a rush to get to the doctor's office for my 20 week appointment, I somehow managed to lock my baby girl in the car. It was so traumatizing for Ella and I both! I know that as a parent, it is my responsibility to stay calm and make my child feel at ease, but knowing that doesn't get me anywhere. I have come to terms with the fact that "staying calm" is just not in my blood. So I did what I do best...I panicked. My first instinct was to go get the hammer and bash the window in. I decided to call Mike first (not sure what he could do from 300 miles away) and he had a better idea. So I called 911, called my Mom (still not sure what she could do from 360 miles away), and then what seemed to be the ENTIRE crew from the Coppell fire department, police department, and even some EMTs showed up. slightly embarrassing. It should be noted that Ella is afraid of sirens...she started hyperventilating as soon as she heard them coming a few miles away, which upset me even more because she was calling for me to help and didn't know why I couldn't. At that point, we were both hysterical. Still sadly enough, probably me more so than her, so much that I couldn't even tell the firemen her name :0) The nice fireman calmly said..."Oh, first timer? No worries, we do this all the time." At that point, Ella sat there with her head down and her hands covering her eyes because it was just too scary to look. Seriously, I know I don't have that much of an excuse except for these crazy pregnancy hormones, but can you imagine that for a 2 year old?!? Sirens and strange men in armor and a slightly unstable mother peering through the window at you?!? Well, they saved the day and Ella and I were on our way. I guess on the way to the doctor's appointment she wanted to make sure she could still get her door open, so she decided to try, flying down the tollway at about 75 miles an hour. Gasp!!! So I quickly pulled over to shut the door and she said, "Mommy, open door, help me!" I took that as a very clear sign that after the doctor's appointment, we were to go home and lock ourselves inside for the rest of the day! And that's what we did :) Crazy moments at their finest thanks to the pregnancy brain! I've done some crazy things while pregnant...throwing my phone away, putting the remote in the refrigerator, putting my vitamins in the garage, but I think this episode tops them all.

1 comment:

merutig said...

Next time I think your Mike needs to take my Mike up on his offer to watch Ella so you can enjoy your appointment in peace. ;) SO sorry you had that traumatizing day!!! xoxo